Music

General Music Chat
Amanroth
Post Monser

Music

Post by Amanroth »

What sort of music do you like?

I'm sure most (if not all) of the people here right now are the same people who were on the original Legacy. I know a few of these people but it's been ages since we all talked and got to know each other.

In lieu of a music forum (so far), and for the sake of the revamping of this message board, tell a bit about the type of music you enjoy.

Myself, I am interested in quite a few different genres, like metal, dub-step, rock, jazz, blues, etc. My favorite styles of music though would have to be the psychedelic rock of the 60's and 70's (The Beatles, Led Zep, Pink Floyd especially) and the heaviest and most technical of metal. I love my old school metal too, like Pantera, Maiden, Megadeth, Testament. But what I crave now is technical metal that makes my ears bleed rainbows, like Scar Symmetry, Obscura, Miseration, All Shall Perish, etc.

I also play bass, and I set up metal and rock shows in my city. I love to listen to local music and support unsigned bands from all over the world. If you ever wanna hear some crazy new metal band that hasn't been heard yet, I'm your guy.
Knowledge once held power, now it remains in the pleasantries of sight. Brains or beauty? What's more important than the envy of another? We starve our only strengths to feed our weaknesses. Mental anorexia.
Mr. T
Prized Petunia

Re: Music

Post by Mr. T »

Right now I'm mostly into different styles of experimental electronica, like power-electronics and noise, anything minimalist yet experimental. But I also listen to jungle/drum and bass, breakbeat, and dub, not really into dubstep, but I used to dig it heavily. I recently heard a good album by an artist named Richie Hawtin aka Plastikman, it's minimal house music, really repetitive but trippy as * in the arrangements and how a song can develop out of a steady kick drum pulse. Here's an example of an aptly titled track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC9rPwzsfZs

Other than that, I listen to progressive heavy metal like Meshuggah, The Dillinger Escape Plan, and Strapping Young Lad, as well as slower, dirgier kinds of metal like Boris, Floor, Helmet, or The Melvins. I also love the band/group/collective SunnO))) who play drone music, just a few really slow riffs for like 15-20mins per song. Other than that, psychedelic rock, hip-hop, jazz, blues, funk, classical music... etc, etc, etc. Here's a Boris song to end with:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4RDBiSpB68
"You got to believe in the ball, and throw your self." - Existential wisdom from the T

Y'all don't know
j-ren
Flowering User

Post by j-ren »

I'm all over the place with music as well. My favorite would have to be classic rock like Led Zepelin, Jethro Tull, and Pink Floyd and Boston. I also love metal such as Agalloch, Opeth, Swallow the Sun, Bury your dead, Dillinger Escape Plan, Goatwhore and Black Dahlia Murder. I'm not really a fan of dub step but I dig electronic music like Justice and Daft Punk. Classical and jazz is also dope yo.
* country.

Here's an interesting group I've found myself liking. Dunno what to call it, carnival techno? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSLXE2PNSK0
Mr. T
Prized Petunia

Post by Mr. T »

That's funny so far everyone here enjoys classic rock, psychedelic rock, and some kind of progressive metal. I actually remember the old boards being really influential on my music tastes, as in totally changing them and thus my life... Went from a catholic school boy to a satan worshipping dope smoker, listening to black metal and stealing pills and *. Ah memories...

A good find I found recently is this electronica artist from England called Muslimgauze, he's obsessed with the Middle East and uses alot of ethnic sounding percussion and sitar-like sounds. But he's this white dude from England who has actually never been to the Mid-East, says he "won't set foot on occupied territory" referring to the West-Bank, and has released over 100, almost 200 albums each with ridiculously pro-Islamic and sometimes anti-semetic titles. Here's a track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzATSBDNNIg

Oh and nice one with Squid Lid, I would call it industrial-sounding techno. The only thing I know that is similar is this random dude I found on 420chan called Fraggletrollet, and yes it sounds like "*" and "trollop" both funny words ha-ha. Here y'all go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL7MFWYytmM
"You got to believe in the ball, and throw your self." - Existential wisdom from the T

Y'all don't know
Amanroth
Post Monser

Post by Amanroth »

Haha I always stemmed inspiration from forumlegacy as far as my taste in music and anime went. I learned about a LOT of the metal bands I used to listen to (and to a lesser extent some of the ones I listen to actively to this day) from talking with people like Mr. T and Idz, etc. I noticed even back then that a lot of the people on the forums listened to varying forms of metal.

That being said, Opeth = God. Frank, Justine, you may both enjoy this band Viathyn from Calgary, AB. They're progressive power-ish. I played a show with them once, they're a solid band full of music instructors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NdABVsDx2Q

Definitely forgot to mention my affinity for classical. I like neo-classical to an extent, but I'm a sucker for Vivaldi or Bach. Wagner, Mozart, or Beethoven are also pretty sweet.
Knowledge once held power, now it remains in the pleasantries of sight. Brains or beauty? What's more important than the envy of another? We starve our only strengths to feed our weaknesses. Mental anorexia.
j-ren
Flowering User

Post by j-ren »

^ I approve
sike oh
Prized Petunia

Post by sike oh »

I've been out of the game for awhile but I definitely love music - I'm trying to find new bands lately but I'm still listening to the same bands I fell for in 2004: Rise Against, Bayside, Alkaline Trio, My Chemical Romance and Senses Fail with some of the bands I found lately being the Black Keys, Arctic Monkeys, and Cage the Elephant.

Definitely more alt rock than you guys but I always enjoy some classic rock and occasional metal - so I'll be checking out the bands you guys mentioned, don't disappoint.

I had to move to the south so country music is unfortunately rampant so its been a pretty rough music scene lately.
EnigmaticManiac
Flowering User

Post by EnigmaticManiac »

I love finding out a bunch of folks I used to talk to on the intertubes all love classic rock. :D I love me anything that could be called musical. I'm a percussionist, so that definition is open to interpretation :P
Specific bands: Dream Theater, Muse, Mumford and Sons, Val Halen, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin.

Just saw a laser light show in my town at the local planetarium of both Pink Floyd music and Zep music. As amazing as it sounds.
tman
Budding User

Post by tman »

Discographies currently in my truck deck.

The Chariot
Stray From The Path
Hyper Crush
Pantera
Avicii
Nero
Vitalic
"The preponderance of man is failing, join me in this bleak dissolving of our kind."

@tristanfortrust
Amanroth
Post Monser

Post by Amanroth »

tman did you go to Boonstock 2012? Avicii was co-headlining with Billy Talent. Personally i thought the lineup this year was *. But my promotion company did get to put on a battle of the bands and send a couple really talented bands to play there. The Noumenon and Dusty Tucker.