Guys, anime is still awesome.

General Anime Discussion goes here. If we need topic that need their own forum we will go from there.
Kiriska
Yay No More Flowers

Guys, anime is still awesome.

Post by Kiriska »

I know most of you don't watch this stuff anymore, but you are missing out. Here are some recommendations from the last decade. A lot of these are available on Netflix, Hulu, FUNimation's streaming site, Crunchyroll, and other official sources. Most are available both subbed and dubbed.
  • Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (27 eps; awesome, hot-blooded manly shounen action; mecha and boobs abound)
    Mushishi (26 eps; standalone eps, supernatural mysteries; very Japanesey without being esoteric; excellent OST)
    Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (64 eps; better than the first FMA anime in every way)
    Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt (13 eps; amazing animation; fanservice and potty humor and weird artsy *)
    Planetes (26 eps; realistic sci-fi, slice of life shenanigans; has a very good dub)
    Chihayafuru (26 eps; unexpectedly adorable josei series)
    Nodame Cantabile (23 eps; hilarious and very sweet josei series (but the sequels suck))
    Darker than BLACK (26 eps; supernatural action/mystery/awesome (the sequel is terrible))
    Ouran High School Host Club (26 eps; very meta satire that is still a tried and true shoujo comedy; surprisingly excellent)
    Baccano! (26 eps; immortal alchemists in 1930's New York; that is all)
And finally, Code Geass:

I * love Code Geass, but I think watching it now and watching it when it aired with speculation abound are two very different experiences. It's very flawed. But it's still very fabulous.

Anyway, if anyone checks these out, lemme know what you think. I think I wrote long reviews of most of these, too, if you want tl;dr (but still spoiler-free) opinions.
they/them
SuperV
Dead Flower
Location: Behind you! Quick! Turn Arou- OWW!! That hurt, you *!

Re: Guys, anime is still awesome.

Post by SuperV »

I've been out of the Anime loop for a loong time, but I've actually heard of quite a few of those, but only seen one episodes for one (Gurren Lagann). I'll definitely keep this list handy for when I have a life to waste on watching tv again.

The only anime/manga I've really seen in the past decade or so has been Sgt Frog/Keroro Gunso and BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad. Keroro was ok, occasionally. BECK actually had a really good manga, despite the fact it was about a rock band and therefore had no music. Still haven't seen the Live Action film, I just can't comprehend squeezing any serious anime/manga story into 90-120 minutes.
Kiriska
Yay No More Flowers

Post by Kiriska »

Gurren Lagann is worth watching up to at least episode 8. If you don't like it by then, you probably won't care for the rest, but definitely make it past 4. The last couple of episodes will go by very fast, too. I watched the whole series in about three days the first time. Alternatively, all of Gurren Lagann is condensed into two movies, which are excellent, even if they change some things.

The BECK anime is decent. I watched it a few years ago. Never read the manga or saw the live action.

As far as live action adaptations, the first two Death Note movies are actually EXCELLENT and I adore them. The third awkward movie to wrap up the trilogy is pretty meh, but still enjoyable. The first NANA live action movie is also good if you like music-related anime and dramatic shoujo. The second NANA movie was crap.
they/them
SuperV
Dead Flower

Post by SuperV »

I only saw the one episode because my roommate decided to watch it, and I sat down too. By the time I came back the next day, he was only episode 5 or 6, and I couldn't deal with that. It seemed like a really cool show, if not hilariously over the top and melodramatic.

The manga is paced much better than the anime, and had a bit more 'slice of life' to it rather than 90% MUSIC!!OMG! Plus the anime only covered about 8 volumes of the total 32 volumes of the manga.

I'm a HUGE fan of Japanese live action films, mostly sci-fi type. Anything from good old gojira to my childhood love of tokusatsu. My favorite anime-adaptation is still probably Casshern, even though I haven't seen the newest incarnation of the anime. I'll have to look for the Death Note movies. Death note was another one of those shows I saw a few episodes of and liked, then missed 2 or 3 and got really frustrated and quite watching.
Kiriska
Yay No More Flowers

Post by Kiriska »

SuperV wrote:It seemed like a really cool show, if not hilariously over the top and melodramatic.
TTGL will redefine "over the top" for you.

Re: BECK, I didn't realize the manga was so long. :O If I didn't have such a short attention span with manga, I'd check it out, but intimidating length is the reason I opted for the NANA live actions over both the anime and the manga, despite them obviously being abbreviated.

I watched a few eps of the newest Casshern Sins and couldn't really get into it. I haven't officially dropped it though, so I guess for now, I still intend to revisit it. Same with Ergo Proxy and a few other things I've started and yet decided what to do with them.

The Death Note anime is pretty crappy, imo, aside from a good OST and some lulzy animations that are nicely reduced to hilarious GIFs. The manga is, of course, superior (and relatively short at 108 chapters), but I'm very, very happy with the live action movies because they managed to change a fair amount of things while leaving themes wholly intact, which I think is pretty ideal for an adaptation.

The Japanese live action Battle Royale is also pretty good (and features the same actor that plays Light in the Death Note movie), though I haven't read the manga (or seen the anime, if there is one, which there probably is) and is probably a good thing to watch now with Hunger Games being all the rage. (Note: I have not read or seen Hunger Games.)
they/them
SuperV
Dead Flower

Post by SuperV »

Beck is longer, and usually I stay away from the massively drawn out story lines too. But unlike Bleach or [insert any number of other anime], it never gives you the sense of "OMG! NEW STRONGER MOST POWERFUL PERSON EVA! WE ARE NO MATCH! WAIT, WE ARE AWESOME, AND SOMEHOW KICK THE * OUT OF HIM!!!!!1!". It was more character development, slice of life, and of course the band actually trying to accomplish making something of themselves.

I had a buddy in high school who was Obsessed with Battle Royal (it was kind of creepy). After seeing portions of the manga, I kind of swore off the series. I have a relatively weak stomach and low tolerance for obsessive gore an mutilation.
Kiriska
Yay No More Flowers

Post by Kiriska »

Yeah, slice of life series usually stay more interesting than shounen action when they get longer. I believe the manga for Nodame Cantabile and NANA (both music-oriented too, hm) are also pretty dang long, if not ongoing. I have also heard endless good things about One Piece trumping shounen tropes in the boss of the month arena, but at what, 600+ (700??) chapters, it still remains intimidating as * to me. I'll start it one day, ahahaha.

I'm pretty indifferent to gore, but as a live action movie, Battle Royale is pretty limited there, so I imagine the manga is probably more intense/explicit/longer.
they/them
Alpha
Post Monser

Post by Alpha »

Last anime I saw was the movie "sword of the stranger".

That one was pretty dope.
Amanroth
Post Monser

Post by Amanroth »

I saw the new Full Metal Alchemist, it was rad. Although to be honest I just don't watch much anime anymore. My roommate showed me this one called Gantz. Has anyone ever watched this? It's full of naked suicidal teen sluts who die and go to some Limbo where they become contract assassins in awesome suits, and has sparked such memorable quotes as "Green onions are enough for me!"

I've only seen the first 5 episodes or so, and from what I understand it is based off of a manga. I tried to find some footage on t3h YouT00bz but it seems they're making a live action film adaptation, so that's all there seems to be on there.
Knowledge once held power, now it remains in the pleasantries of sight. Brains or beauty? What's more important than the envy of another? We starve our only strengths to feed our weaknesses. Mental anorexia.
j-ren
Flowering User

Post by j-ren »

WalkingAbomination wrote: My roommate showed me this one called Gantz. Has anyone ever watched this? It's full of naked suicidal teen sluts who die and go to some Limbo where they become contract assassins in awesome suits, and has sparked such memorable quotes as "Green onions are enough for me!"
Was into the manga for a while and watched half of the anime series but kind of lost my motivation to continue on with it.

Gurren Lagann is excellent as is Code Geass and FMA: Brotherhood. Ouran and * are also very good but are generally favored by girls.

If anything I watch anime even more now that it is readily available for streaming online as opposed to 10 years ago when I could only really watch it on Adult Swim or download it via dial-up.